Tuesday, 17 April 2012

A love letter to fashion♥

I've been realising over the past few months just how much I love fashion and how much alternative culture means to me. I've been stuck in a strange place for the past few years where I didn't know who I wanted to be or what I was into, and everything felt more and more useless and pointless up until when I left school just over a year ago. I went to a private christian school where you couldn't wear your hair out or dye it (not that the rule stopped me), weren't allowed to wear eyeliner (that didn't stop me either), you had to wear a certain brand of socks, no bracelets... etc. I've always been a very creative person and I was discovering throughout high school how to express myself through my appearance and it was easy to feel discouraged and held back by the uniform rules. As soon as I left, I dyed my hair purple and put on every bracelet I owned! It felt terrific to know that if I wanted to have orange hair I could do it, I could paint my nails any colour I wanted, I could wear a beanie if I felt like it, and I was no longer restricted to 70 denier stockings! I could apply my much loved liquid eye liner in the morning without fearing that I'd be asked to remove it throughout the day, and team it with a bright green eyeshadow too (: Having the freedom of not wearing a sack of a school dress every day has given me the opportunity to discover my own style as I now get to choose what I wear every day of the week. I went through so many looks last year, starting with tshirts, skinny jeans, vans and a pixie cut at the beginning of the year to playing around with spank! and other fun Japanese styles. I'm beginning to settle on a look where studs, leather and band tees live in harmony with lace, florals and tulle. I dream of platform shoes, white stockings and acid wash denim *sigh* and only a year ago I would never have felt so inspired in how I want to look and be (: Being excited about clothes leads to being excited about leaving the house, and that's a pretty massive thing considering I haven't felt ready to go back into studying or work. I'm now thinking about applying for a job at an alternative clothing store opening soon near me! So hopefully I can meet some great people there and maybe get into other things like maybe writing about fashion or styling shoots! *is very optimistic*
So thank you clothes for being so much fun and getting me back into being zany and creative! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

That sappiness aside, here are some looks that are inspiring me at the moment! Click any photo to enlarge it (:




I love the cult party kei and mori girl coords popping up in Japan right now that consist entirely of white and cream pieces. It's got a classic doll like appeal, like an old porcelain piece you find in your attic, blow the dust off of and just admire. These outfits consist of a lot of vintage pieces which means every one doing it still has their own unique touch on the look. Seeing photos of this trend makes me want to run straight to my nearest thrift store!



Skeleton tights!! I have no idea why I love how these look so much. Is the appeal in the halloween vibe? Is it because I love patterned stockings and I want these in my evergrowing collection? I can give no straight answer but I know I really want some and I've already thought of some outfits to go with them :') I would DIY some but I'm scared of ruining some lovely stockings...



I'm never sure what to call these. Odango? Double buns? Hair horns? Alien twists? I'm in love with them, whatever they are. My mum used to do similar twisty buns in my hair when I was small because Charli from the childrens group Hi-5 often sported 5 of them in her hair. She was pretty surprised when I asked her to do them for me again 13 years later! The look is achieved by teasing a section of hair then wrapping other pieces around it. Click here for Lockshops tutorial.

More looks I love after the jump (:










Thank you for sticking through this huge post, I hope you get a little inspired too (:

Til next!

3 comments:

  1. Read this and felt sorry for you that you had to go to a school like that. I know that schools aren't fashion houses where you can show off with cool clothes and that there are other ways to express yourself, but I couldn't imagine my life in this modern world, if I weren't allowed to wear my silver rings and special bracelets. Or if my hair colour had to be the usual dark blonde... I believe that there were certain rules for behaving too? Not just my cup of tea...

    - The Orange-Haired Girl (Shadarium) from Deviantart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! It's lovely to hear from you again.
      I totally understand what you're saying. I didn't expect to be able to dye my uniform pink, shove a petticoat underneath and wear high heels but the fact that I got pulled out of class because I had a bracelet on was ridiculous. I missed class time on multiple occasions because of the silliest things like the way my hair was parted. It got so frustrating. I also had to watch what I said about my beliefs, what music I liked, not swear etc. and sometimes I would feel a bit censored. When you're there 5 days a week it's easy to get overwhelmed and discouraged. But I'm out now and wearing and saying whatever I like n.n

      Delete
  2. I love Mori Girl/Cult Party too :D i've used some of those photos for a college project last year so they're very inspiring to me too, haha! Wish you lots of luck for the job in the clothing shop-sounds so exciting, i love somewhere like that to work here!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...