Wednesday, 29 February 2012

Ghost World

 

So it's no secret that I'm a huge nerd for graphic novels turned movie franchises. I get excited about upcoming Marvel movies a year before they're released, I know every line to Scott Pilgrim vs. The World and I actually paid to see The Green Lantern. But my favourite comic turned film has to be Ghost World.

Thora Birch and Scarlett Johansson are Enid and Becky, two cynical American teenagers who have just graduated high school. The film and book both outline a small part of their journey to adulthood; figuring out their lives while pranking men who write love ads in the personals and calling strangers things like 'date rapists' or 'satanists'. And it stars Steve Buscemi! Now are you interested?


I think I love both the book and the film so much because of the little things in them that I like: such as garage sales, self-reinvention and green hair. It's full of all sorts of wacky characters and world views, yet is somehow relateable to yourself and everyone you know.


The soundtrack is also so great. The film focuses a lot on records and old time music, and there are some really unique tracks featured. The movie opens with Indian rock 'n' roll for goodness sake!

When I spotted the graphic novel in a comic book store in Philadelphia, I grabbed it without thinking twice. Every time I read it or rewatch the film I take something different from it and there's so many little things that happen that it just doesn't seem to get old.

Do you have a book or film you always find yourself going back to?

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Ghost World! I am actually researching stuff for a paper on it and your blog came up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, that's so cool! i hope my blog didn't distract you too much from writing your paper ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...